When the power goes out, a generator can help keep you safe, comfortable, and productive at home. They can help during both cold and warm weather power outages. Having a generator available in the event of a natural disaster can save your life.
What types of generators are there?
When it comes to residential backup generators, there are 2 main types to choose from:
- Permanent: Permanent standby generators run on liquid propane or natural gas and are designed to automatically provide energy for the home within seconds of losing electricity. This type of generator is useful for those who experience constant outages or have experienced major outages in the past.
- Portable: These small generators use gasoline to generate power during outages. You can run extension cords to the generator and connect smaller appliances including refrigerators, furnaces, hot water heaters, and sump pumps to keep your household functioning comfortably.
What benefits are there to having a backup generator?
There are 5 main benefits to having a generator that you can rely on when an outage occurs:
- Maintain comfort: Having a generator allows you to stay warm or cool when the house loses power, especially for those who live in extreme climates.
- Prevent voltage fluctuations: Running a generator can prevent dangerous surges when the power finally does return.
- Prevent waste: Keeping the fridge and other appliances running during an outage can save perishable items such as food and medicine.
- Safe to operate: Electric generators and propane generators are safe for everyone to operate.
- Peace of mind: Having a generator acts as a security net which can give you peace of mind.
What should you consider when looking for residential generators?
In order to determine what generator may be appropriate for your needs, you should consider:
- Wattage: Each electrical device needs a certain amount of wattage to run. If you just need to keep certain appliances running during an emergency, you may be able to work with a smaller generator. If you require more wattage, a larger generator may be more practical..
- Runtime needs: If you are in an area that experiences regular outages, or if you are dealing with an emergency situation and you do not know how much runtime you need, a generator with a larger tank may be a good idea.
- Type: For many people, a portable generator is enough. Those who live in areas that experience regular power cuts or who are at risk for natural disasters may wish to install permanent generators.
- Special features: Some features may make some generators easier to use than others.
Smart shopping with eBay Refurbished
eBay Refurbished is your budget-stretching secret weapon. eBay offers the best value on the biggest selection of refurbished products from exceptional sellers with warranties as good as or superior to what's offered on brand-new products.Because everyone should be empowered to get the exact products they want in the right condition at the right price so their dollars go further.
- Certified Refurbished: The item is in pristine, like-new condition, backed by a two-year warranty. It has been professionally inspected, cleaned, and refurbished by the manufacturer or a manufacturer-approved vendor to meet manufacturer specifications. The item will be in new packaging with original or new accessories.
- Excellent Refurbished: The item is in like-new condition, backed by a one year warranty. It has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to excellent condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in new generic packaging.
- Very Good Refurbished: The item shows minimal wear and is backed by a one year warranty. It is fully functional and has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to very good condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in new generic packaging.
- Good Refurbished: The item shows moderate wear and is backed by a one year warranty. It is fully functional and has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to good condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in a new generic packaging.
Industry-leading Warranty and 30 day returns Included in Every Purchase
eBay has partnered with Allstate to include an award winning warranty in every box. So you're covered in the event your item breaks or malfunctions. Learn more about ebay refurbished warranty coverage.
eBay Refurbished items can be returned or replaced for free within 30 days of receiving them. Only a select group of eBay sellers can participate in the program, and we monitor their performance to ensure they live up to the highest standards of customer service. Learn more about the perks of shopping eBay Refurbished.
Returns Made Simple How It Works
Start your return: In My eBay, find the item under Purchase history, then in More actions, choose Return this item.
Select your reason: Depending on the seller's return policy, we may put you in touch with them directly.
Ship it back:You'll be issued a packing slip and shipping label. Pack the item and ship it.
Check the listing's return policy before making your purchase.
Be sure to note shipping deadlines and whether an item can be returned for refund, replacement, or exchange.
Return the item in the same condition you received it in -- pack it well. Learn more about the item condition policy
We work hard to make returns smooth. For those rare cases when they don't go that way, the eBay Money Back Guarantee may help. Get the item you ordered or your money back--guaranteed.
eBay Money Back Guarantee
Whatever you're buying--large or small--eBay offers many ways to ensure you get exactly what you want.
Get the item you ordered or your money back--it's that simple. Our eBay Money Back Guarantee applies to virtually everything on our site, and there's no extra fee for coverage. It's automatic and covers your purchase price plus original shipping on eligible purchases*.
Follow these steps to get your refund:
Contact Your Seller If an item hasn't arrived or isn't as described, go to My eBay, select the item in your purchase history, and reach out to your seller.
Not resolved? Let us know. If you've talked to your seller and the issue still isn't resolved after three business days, contact us.
We'll get your money back. Fast. You can count on hearing from us within 48 hours.
*Item exclusions apply. For full terms and conditions, read our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.