adidas Yeezy Boost 380 History and Success
A variety of adidas Yeezy lines had already seen incredible success before the late 2019 launch of the Yeezy Boost 380 — and the success didn't end there. The popular Kanye West signature collection has enjoyed all things Yeezy, selling out nearly instantaneously, and the attention garnered by the new Boost 380 fits the bill.
Think of the Yeezy Boost 380 as version three of the Boost 350.Some thought it would be dubbed the Boost 350 v3 before the rollout under the 380 moniker. The 380 line first reached consumers in late 2019 with a $230 release of the Alien colorway (FV3260). Then adidas rolled out a series of new colorways through 2020 and 2021, including dipping into the "reflective" department to give the silhouette added intrigue.
Yeezy Boost 380 Colorway Releases
- The Yeezy Boost 380 debuted with the Alien colorway. As the first step beyond the Yeezy Boost 350 v2, the 380 redesigned the upper to remove the prominent stripe on the side. But it didn't fully divest itself of all things striped, with a subtle nod to the look higher on the upper, near the laces. The Alien colorway featured grey and white and, as the first 380 released in late 2019, also became a prominent marker in the new line from Yeezy.
- A mix of releases followed the Alien, including Mist (FX9764), Mist Reflective (FX9846), Blue Oat (Q47306), Blue Oat Reflective (FX9847), Pepper (FZ1269) and Pepper Reflective (FZ4977). These colorways offered up advanced takes on the Alien upper design, mixing in a bounty of colors and earth tones along the way. The Blue Oat Reflective may have the most distinct aesthetic of the bunch, with a prominent blue stripe across an almost subtle orange upper. And the Blue Oat colorway includes a gum outsole.
Yeezy Boost 380 - Mist (FX9764)
Yeezy Boost 380 - Blue Oat (Q47306)
Yeezy Boost 380 - Pepper (FZ1269)
Yeezy Boost 380 - Black and Brown Onyx (FZ1270)
Yeezy Boost 380 - Lmnte Reflective (H02541)
Yeezy Boost 380 - Hylte Glow (FZ4994)
Yeezy Boost 380 - Lmnte (FZ4982)
- Things really started getting interesting in October 2020 with the release of Calcite Glow. This just-in-time for Halloween sneaker features a glow-in-the-dark outsole to combine with Alien-inspired colors on the upper.
- To keep Yeezy fans on their toes and not too tied to wild colors, a heavy black and brown Onyx (FZ1270) was released in November 2020, mixing dark shades across the upper with a dark translucent outsole under the Boost cushioning. Onyx Reflective (H02536) followed soon after.
- A trio of December 2020 releases, Lmnte Reflective (H02541), Azure Reflective (H02538) and Hylte Glow (FZ4994), all created a colorful ripple in the Yeezy Boost 380 line. Lmnte Reflective mixes light and dark earth tones in a camo print with touches of gold and a grey Boost midsole wrapped by a yellow outsole. Azure Reflective features a prominent blue stripe in the 380's upper atop earth tones underfoot. The Hylte Glow adds another glow-in-the-dark option for Yeezy Boost 380 fans, mixing yellow and neon green across the design. For those who prefer a more subtle look, toned-down versions of Lmnte (FZ4982), Azure (FZ4986) and Hylte (FZ4990) fit the bill.
Yeezy Boost 380 Collectibility and Value
The collectible value of the Yeezy Boost 380 starts with the Alien colorway but doesn't end there. As the first in a new silhouette, Alien provides the most intrigue on the resale market, with sales routinely rising above $400. Similarly popular 380s include the more recent Lmnte Reflective and Blue Oat Reflective colorways, with prices fetching over $300 on the resale market. Other sought-after Yeezy Boost 380 options include Azure Reflective, Hylte Glow, Calcite Glow and Pepper Reflective.
Yeezy Boost 380 Features and Design
The primary focus of the Yeezy Boost 380 is the Primeknit upper. Across their multiple colorways, adidas toyed with the idea of the stripe from the 350 (it has subtly moved higher on the upper and can be seen more prominently in some colorways than others). They wound up focusing on the knitted upper. Designers can fine-tune every yarn on the upper with the color of their choice, leading to a mix of aesthetics. The Primeknit upper also figures into the fit of the low-top shoe, with designers managing structure within the knit to serve as the key support. The ribbed collar helps secure the shoe, and the laces create aesthetic adornment.
The Yeezy Boost 380 includes a full-length Boost midsole for optimum step-in comfort. The rubber outsole features a herringbone pattern in a mix of colors — some translucent — to match the upper's design. The Calcite Glow colorway (GZ8668) even debuted a glow-in-the-dark outsole. The addition of reflective elements has given more than a few of the key colorways a distinct look.
The Yeezy Boost 380 in Popular Culture
Celebrities love lacing up — or at least slipping on — a pair of Yeezy shoes. Kanye West wearing the Yeezy Boost 380 gave the sneaker plenty of pop culture relevance, as did Khloe Kardashian pairing her 380s with an all-black outfit.