When it’s time to get a new bed, you may want to consider a platform bed. These beds are designed to provide flat surfaces for mattresses without the need for a box spring. Not only are they specially designed to prevent bacteria buildup in the mattress, but they also come in a wide range of styles, colors, and designs, making them appropriate for many bedrooms.What styles of platform beds are there?
When looking for platform frames, you will find 4 common styles to choose from:
- Asian: These styles of platform beds use elements from different Asian cultures. They are often simply designed with understated elegance to make the bedroom appear and feel calm.
- Contemporary: Contemporary platform beds are also simplistic with clean edges. However, they take more inspiration from European cultures when it comes to the design of the frame. These frames can be made from either wood, metal, or a combination of the two.
- Storage: Certain styles of beds come with compartments underneath the slats. These drawers can be used to save space in the bedroom. Use the storage space for clothing, extra pillows, and extra blankets.
- Traditional: These models are designed to resemble traditional-style furniture that is commonly found in American homes. Some of the designs of these platform frames are rustic while others have a cottage vibe.
Platform beds offer a number of advantages:
- Solid surface: The slats provide a solid surface to support your mattress; therefore, you do not need to get a box spring to make this bed functional.
- Mattresses: Platform frames support a wide variety of different mattresses, meaning you can use the mattress that works for you. This type of frame can also support memory foam mattresses.
- Storage: Depending on the design of the frame, you may have storage drawers underneath the slats or in the headboard itself.
- Air circulation: The slats allow air to access the bottom of the mattress, keeping it nice and cool. This air circulation also prevents bacteria from building up in the mattress.
When looking for platform beds, consider the:
- Headboard design: Some headboards have simple slats while others have designs or shelves to display items. Some may even be upholstered.
- Materials: Bed frames are often made of wood. However, some frames are made of metal or have metal components.
- Size: Frames range from twin size to king size.
- Height: Some frames are taller than others. You want to choose a bed frame that makes your bed easy to get into.
- Function: Platform beds are designed to give you a comfortable place to sleep. However, the right bed frame can also elevate your bedrooms interior design and give you some space-saving options.