Everything You Need to Know About Nikons F-Mount Series of Lenses
Nikon makes at least 400 F-mount series lenses, making the F-mount the largest interchangeable lens system on the market today. About 90 of these lenses are in current production, but older F-mount lenses are still good investments. If you own an F-mount SLR camera, whether made by Nikon or other camera manufacturers, you will find a huge selection of these lenses on eBay.What are some features of Nikon F-mount lenses?
Some features available on Nikons F-mount lens collection include:
- Telephoto zoom lens: These zoom lens for still cameras were first introduced in 1959.
- Internal focus: Internal focus for telephoto lenses, which are lighter and smaller than previous telephotos. Rear focus was an additional improvement introduced in 1988.
- ED (extra low dispersion) glass: This covers the entire color spectrum and allows for more true to life color.
- Vibration reduction: This helps stabilize the lens if your hand shakes and minimizes the need to use a tripod.
- Nano Crystal Coat: This is a superior multi-coat that reduces flare and increases contrast.
F-mount lenses can be used on the Nikon Z as long as you have the Mount Adapter FTZ. Nikon has always been concerned about backward and forward compatibility, and there are 360 F lenses that will work with your Z mirrorless camera.Are older F-mount lenses still used by modern photographers?
Absolutely. Although Nikon is having success with its new Z mirrorless cameras, it continues to produce digital cameras the DX and FX series cameras that are compatible with most F mount lenses. If you still love film, and want a new camera, theres a good chance it will be a Nikon, which has two F-series film cameras in production. Even if you have a Z camera and some Z lenses, youll want to take advantage of the wider variety of lenses available with an F-mount.Whats the story behind this enormous lens system?
Nikon began as a Japanese optics company called Nikor. Nikor made its first camera lens a highly specialized aerial photography lens in 1933. After WWII several Japanese companies began making SLR cameras. In 1959, Nikon introduced the F series camera, along with a large selection of lenses that featured their innovative F mount. It quickly became the dominant SLR camera. Nikor/Nikon has always been an innovative company. In the almost 60 years since the F camera was introduced, Nikon has continued to be a pioneer in developing new photographic equipment and keeps up with changes in film and digital photography.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nikon.