Black Flats and Oxfords for Women
Black flats are the workhorse of a woman's wardrobe. This category includes everything from black athletic shoes to black ballet flats. Many women like to have multiple pairs of black flat shoes in different styles.What styles of flats would be good for casual settings?
Black flats are some of the most ubiquitous shoes out there. Because they are such essential classics, flats are available in most sizes and many styles. Some brands that make these shoes include Clarks, SKECHERS, Sam Edelman, Naturalizer, Aerosoles, and Harvey Weitzman. The following are some common styles:
- Work and riding boots: Women who work in certain settings or who spend a lot of time in nature may want a pair of flat boots.
- Sneakers: This category encompasses everything from Nikes that were specifically meant for the basketball court to stylish street sneakers.
- Sport sandals: Many companies make slip-on athletic sandals. These are often worn in the locker room, when lounging at home, and when running quick errands.
- Espadrilles: These flats have a sole made of rope. The upper is usually made of a lighter fabric like cotton or canvas. These are comfortable to wear in the spring and summer.
The following shoes are good for professional and dressy settings:
- Oxfords: Women's leather lace-up Oxfords are modeled on the men's classic. These shoes are an excellent choice for the most formal professional settings. They pair especially well with dark and neutral pantsuits or dark tights.
- Ballet flats: Ballet flats are extremely versatile. They are a good choice for women who are wearing skirts. They are also easy to dress up if you have a date or other evening event.
- Loafers and moccasins: These two slip-on models are appropriate to wear at most offices.
- Mules: Mules are backless flats. Many women enjoy wearing them with work separates.
Designers give women many options with styles and materials, such as these:
- Fabric: Women can choose from many fabrics, including leather, patent leather, suede, snakeskin, satin, wool, and rubber. There are also options like perforated leather.
- Embellishments: Shoes made from fabrics like cotton or satin may have metal accents, lace, beading, sequins, or embroidery added. Many women like shoes with gold or silver sequins and beading as those colors stand out against a black shoe.
- Toe shape: You may choose between round-toe or pointed-toe flats. Women who want to wear ballet flats with a pantsuit may prefer shoes with a pointed toe.