A/C Compressor & Clutch for Dodge Caliber
Without a properly working cooling system, the temperature will rise in your Dodge Caliber. Many times, the compressor clutch can be part of the problem. By repairing the problem, you can have your air conditioning back in no time.How does the air conditioner compression clutch work?
The A/C compression clutch in the Dodge Caliber controls the operation of the air conditioner compressor so refrigerant can be pressurized. Once pressurization occurs, the refrigerant is pumped through the air conditioning system. A belt drive is attached to the engine flywheel, which is how the compressor gets its power. This makes the overall operation similar to the cars drive chain. While the belt turns, a rotor located near an electromagnet also turns. When current runs through the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that moves through the rotor. This function is important for bringing the friction plates together to make the rotor in the unit spin.How do you replace the compressor clutch bearing?
This part is also known as a "pulley bearing." When replacing it in a Caliber, there is no need to take the compressor out of the vehicle, which means you dont have to recharge the system. To make this repair, you will need an A/C clutch removal tool, 10mm and 14mm sockets, snap ring pliers, a 12mm wrench, a 10-ton press to help place the part, and a hammer to extract it. To perform the replacement, follow these steps:
- Drive the car onto a pit or ramps and remove the shroud underneath the Calibers A/C compressor.
- Loosen the idler pulley nut, which will relieve belt tension before belt extraction.
- Use the clutch tool to remove the center bolt.
- Use a little outward pressure to remove the assembly.
- Use the hammer to extract the bearing with a lot of force because of peens (small indentations) in the housing.
- Once removed, install the new part and reverse the steps.
You can manually engage the air compressor by doing the following:
- Check the oil level in the compressor and add more if needed per the Dodge Caliber’s owner’s manual.
- Locate the front of the A/C compressor and unplug the single wire connector.
- Connect the wire connector on the compressor side to the fused jumper wire.
- The jumper wire can be connected to the batterys positive terminal, which gives the compressor the power it needs to go.
If youre having difficulty finding the Doge Caliber A/C compressor clutch relay, it may not have one, depending on the year of the vehicle. If it doesnt have one, it doesnt have a clutch either, as it is what is called a "Duty Cycled VDOT compressor." The 2007 Dodge Caliber is a good example. If there is a relay, it will be located inside the interior fuse box.How can you test a compressor clutch?
To test the compressor clutch, do the following:
- Engage the emergency brake and lift the hood.
- Connect a voltmeters positive lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative lead to the negative terminal.
- Make sure the voltmeter is turned to volts and start the engine.
- Manipulate the A/C controls so you can see if the clutch at the front of the compressor engages.